Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Job

Please excuse the pun, but this week, my job is keeping me from reading the book of Job. :-) Yup, my daily bible reading (http://www.bibleinayear.org/) jumps from Genesis to Job because I chose the chronological reading plan. And at work, I travel to 4 cities this week - Jakarta, Kuala Lumpur, Singapore, Bangkok. As you can imagine, this is wrecking havoc to my bible reading and training. :-( Oh well, at least I am contributing to Singapore Airlines' growth. :-)

I am trying to catch up on the daily readings emailed to me, so this post is gonna be my thoughts after getting through Job 1 - 13 (which covers 3 days).

The book of Job has been a favourite of mine since 7 years back when R1 was born. He had a congenital problem at birth and subsequently required surgery at one year old. As you can imagine, having our 1st baby who was not quite completely and perfectly made (so we thought) was immensely stressful. At my lowest point, I made the painful confession to Mrs Nitrox that if I had known that our baby would have congenital problems, I would have elected not to have any children. Thankfully, God did not let go of me, despite my weakness and lack of faith. He brought me to the book of Job, and through it, I was immensely encouraged, because I learnt two fundermental truths - (1) that we can (and are required) to pour our honest, no-holds-barred thoughts/grievances to Him, and that (2) He will not test us beyond what we can bear, and at the end of the period of testing, comes complete and perfect restoration. Just to finish the story about R1, the Lord brought us to a fantastic surgeon, more than that, His hands restored R1 beyond the expectations of even the doctors, and we continue to trust Him in completing His miracle of restoration in R1.

Finally a quick shout out to CP, who is also joining the email bible reading plan (http://www.bibleinayear.org/). Thanks so much for sharing that CP, I am immensely encouraged - if this blog touches just one person, then it would already be worth my sporadic efforts. May the Lord bless you in your journey in re-discovering His word!

3 comments:

CR said...

I had know idea about R1 and admire your honesty with the Lord. Safe travels throughout Singapore. Thanks for the publicity as well! I'm a little behind on my readings as well, but tomorrow is my last day of work for a while and hope to catch up!

Unknown said...

Well, it has touched at least 2 people, Kewl. I just signed up as well. I have attempted the bible in a year a few times before, but have yet to succeed. I pray that this new method will be successful. Thanks for leading the way.

Anonymous said...

That is so great about your son! Good luck keeping up on your reading and everything else that gets thrown at you (sometimes with the intention of getting you off track!)

Merry Christmas!