Sunday, April 27, 2008

New Carbon Wheels!

OK, technically they are not quite new. I bought them from a Finnish colleague at "buddy" price. He had them for a year or so and have been using them as race wheels for his BMC TT02. After trying the Easton EC90 tubulars, he had to get them, and I became the blessed owner of his carbon clinchers on Friday. Being colleagues and good friends at work, we did away with the second guessing and bargaining at comes with buying/selling, and I knew the wheels would be in good condition because he is quite a bike freak (like me). I also knew he would include the Titanium skewers and his almost new Continenal Grand Prix 4000s tyres, but was surprised on Friday was that he also included wheel bags and even a Dura Ace 9-speed casette for me as he knew I do not have one for the new wheels. Thanks Jarmo! As you can see from the pictures here, the wheels and even the tyres are in immaculate condition, so I am extremely chuffed to be blessed with these latest acquisitions.

OK, for the technically inclined, these are Mavic Cosmic Carbone SL Premium wheels (yes, quite a mouthful), and the main difference with the lesser priced Carbone SL is that the Premium comes with Titanium axle, nuts and skewers to reduce weight, and subdued white detailing (as opposed to the loud yellow decals on the SL). Technically, they are not really carbon wheels - as you can see, the rims (where the brake pads contact the wheels, and where the clincher tyres mount) are made of alloy. Only the 52mm "fairings" are made from carbon. As such they are not the lightest wheelsets out there, even for clinchers - 1755 grams per pair, compared to the likes of the ZIPP 404 clinchers @ 1660 grams and the Easton EA90 clinchers @ 1545 grams. Tubular wheelsets tend to be significantly lighter - e.g. ZIPP 404 tubulars @ 1252 grams and the Easton EA90 @ 1370 grams - but I can't be fussed with tubulars, glue/tape and pre-stretching. What's good about the Mavic Cosmic Carbone SL Premium wheelset is that they have the reputation of being strong and stiff. Since I have time to ride only once a week, strong wheels are a key criteria as I have half a mind to use them as both training and racing wheels. (I am still holding onto my old Mavic Ksyrium Equipe wheelsets for wet weather riding, but leaning more and more towards selling them for some fast cash.)

Took them out for my 2 hr weekend ride this morning and I have to report that I am 100% satisfied. I was all smiles with the noticeable improvement in overall "smoothness" - e.g. free-wheeling produces a muted "purring" rather than the mechanical "clacking" I am use to. Ride quality is significantly improved, and overall response/turn-in is excellent. The wheels feel very solid and stiff even under full-on out-of-saddle stomping - this is no fragile carbon wheelset that I have to tread gingerly upon! :-) Given that my old Ksyrium Equipes are only about 100 grams heavier, there is no significant improvement in acceleration/pick-up, but I was pleasantly surprised to find a 5% improvement in average speed in my first ride today - i.e. 6mins improvement on a 2 hour ride despite a unusally hot and clammy day. Not sure if this is my enthusiasm coming through, and it is hopelessly unscientific to make conclusions from one test ride, so I will be keeping my eye on speed/total time taken for my rides in the next few weeks.

Ok, enough talk, now for the pictures:

I'm one of the bike "freaks" who proudly rack up my bike in the living room - Mrs Nitrox thinks of it as storage, but I see a work of art. :-) I still catch myself admiring it when I am watching TV sometimes - Besides being good wheels, the carbon aero fairings goes very well with the naked carbon weave on my Scott CR1 frame. :-)

Here's a close-up of the rear wheel:
And here's one of the front:


Yes, early test seems to suggest that it does go as fast as it looks. :-)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

You're one lucky guy. My wife would never let me get away with hanging the bike, if I had one, in the house. I agree, it looks like art.

Cliff said...

A carbonized Kewl :)

Hey as for my tri-bike...i have a pic. Will do a post from my road bike vs my tri bike position.

CR said...

Nice wheels! We hang my bike out in the garage too!