Friday, April 25, 2008

Best way to busy up the weekend...

Sorry, I seem to have caught blogger constipation. So much has happened in the last 2 weeks so I have a feeling there will be multiple posts from me this weekend as I purge from my system all the pent up blogging. :-)

Was busy all last weekend - Yup, seems one of the best ways to busy up the weekend is to volunteer to babysit a 5 month old labrador puppy. It also helps that despite claims of being house broken, "Brother" (don't look at me, I didn't name him) peed on everywhere but the papers, and has the habbit of whinning/barking late at night and early in the mornings. Seriously though, it was good fun having him, and a good lesson for the boys on what it means to have a dog. Having Brother for the weekend also confirmed that R1 is the more emotional of my 2 boys - he cried when Brother was returned. R2, on the otherhand, was nonchalant abt the whole episode.

In terms of my daily bible reading, I am afraid I have now slipped to being an entire month behind schedule. :-( Given that the scriptures are being emailed daily to my office email account, this also reflects the sad state of where I am at work. I am literally getting "mailbox full" messages every 2-3 days so I am operating on the "if it is urgent, they will call me" mode. Hopefully when 1st June comes and I hand-over one of the 2 roles I am currently holding, things will get a little less crazy - call me the eternal optimist. :-)

Having said that, I did manage to inject a bit of work-life balance on Wed (23rd April) by participating in the JPMorgan Chase Corporate Challenge ® (5.6km road run). Hopefully I can share more pictures later when I copy them off my colleagues. We had a team from work ranging from sub 25mins sprinters to 60+mins strollers, and the company management was kind enough to sponsor race entry fees and even provide company team shirts. Over 10,000 runners showed up, many in their corporate colours, so it lended to a carnival atmosphere right in the centre of town. This was a "self seeding" race, which meant that we were supposed to line up at the start according to our expected finishing times, but it felt like we were the only ones doing it. You guys/gals know ol' nitrox ain't a fast runner, but I was dodging and weaving through strollers and joggers pretty much for the entire 5.6km route!

Despite that, I came in at 31:38 which is a decent timing for me (I am happy to turn in sub 30mins 5 km and sub 60mins 10km), and I was surprised to see that I was 7th in the team from work. :-) I started off pretty slowly as it was hard to settle into any sort of rhythm with the constant "stop-start" squeezing thru the joggers/walkers that decided they wanted to start in front. Felt good and comfortable throughout the run, and when I look back at where I was 3 years ago when even 2.4km was too far to run, I am amazed that 5.6km is considered a short run for me now. I looked at the guys/gals struggling through the route and think to myself "that was me just a few short years ago", and am encouraged that the training has made some tangible difference - Praise God! It is easy to forget that I am getting fitter and stronger when I am putting in the training hours and still rounding out the bottom of the pack in races. :-))

More big news to share including yet another sexy bit of "go faster" kit for my bike, but more on that later...

1 comment:

CR said...

Looking forward to the posts this week. We're getting a new puppy this weekend so I'm sure we'll have lots of fun stories to share! And I don't even know where I am with my daily bible reading...