Friday, April 4, 2008

Rejoice!

I have definitely fallen behind in my daily scripture reading. It has been almost a month since my last post, and I have only covered 14 days of bible reading from http://www.bibleinayear.org/ - Numbers 28-36, Deuteronomy 1-29. :-(

As I recall the chapters that I have read, I am reminded that we are commanded by God to rejoice in Him. In the book of Deuteronomy alone, it was commanded 8 times (or more): Deuteronomy 12:7, 12:12, 12:18, 14:26, 16:11, 16:14, 16:15, 26:11, and probably summarised in the verse "... you shall rejoice in every good thing which the LORD your God has given to you and your house ..." (Deut 26:11, New King James version). It does not say "you will rejoice" nor does it say "it's good for you to rejoice", it says "you shall rejoice, which implies that what is required is a conscious effort to rejoice in Him, even as we remember God's awesome grace in our everyday lives.

I have to confess that this is an area of failing in my life. Whenever the troubles at work becomes too much to bear, I tend to start looking for things of the world to retore my peace and joy - be it training or dreams about "extravagent luxuries". I'm struggling with what it means to derive joy from the Lord - I am sure that He blesses us with material things out of love, just as I want to give R1 & R2 nice things, but I sometimes find it hard to make sure that I am seeking Him and not His blessings.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I think most of us are guilty of seeking pleasure elsewhere. I am in the process of trying to catch up as well. I am almost finished with Deutoronomy.

Comm's said...

Sorry bout r2's arm. I'll say a little health prayer for him.

I shattered my elbow once. All three bones at the joint. Pretty terrible deal but the arm is fine now. So there is hope.