Thursday, December 13, 2007

"If you do well, will you not be accepted?"

Ok, yesterday's daily reading was Genesis chapters 4-7 [I am going through the New King James (NKJ) version]. This goes from Cain & Abel, to Noah & the great flood.

So what strikes me in yesterday's reading was what God said to Cain when He rejected Cain's offering (but accepted Abel's). He said "If you do well, will you not be accepted?..." (Genesis 4:7, NKJ). I have always wondered why God rejected Cain's offering, but the New King James version seems to be quite clear in saying that Cain just did not "do well". Hmmmmm, this reminds me that God expects the best from us when we work. Which makes me ashamed of the times when I may not have worked with the best (nor noble) intentions - office politics come to mind. Too many times have I decided to "take matters into my own hands" and did something "clever" in my own eyes to get back at the people/system that is trying to get me down. But what is "clever" in my own eyes is often not "wise" or acceptable in God's eyes.

God's requirement is simple and yet impossible to do without faith in His saving grace. He just wants us to "do well" - to work as for Him and not for men (Colossians 3:23) - not even for myself. He will even the score, not me (Proverbs 25:21-22). I gotta remember that.

2 comments:

CR said...

Humbling message, huh?

Anonymous said...

Welcome back! :) You have been missed.

I like the idea of email reminders for what to read each day. Good luck with your 1 year journey!