Friday, January 4, 2008

Tri Gear Update: Shoes, Tri Shorts, Foot Pod, POWERbreathe!

Yup, got myself some value-priced gear from New Balance again. This time a pair of MR846 which are their stability/cushioning trainers weighing 374 g/13.1 oz. Was very tempted by the MR902 (292 g/10.2 oz lightweight, mild stability control), which are lighter, but decided to go for the more "heavy-duty" choice because I tend to have a heel strike and pronation in my running gait. Thanks to the Triathlon Association of Singapore, I get a 30% discount so the MR846 cost SGD$122.5 (USD$85.75), which is a pretty decent price for a solid pair of running shoes. I have run with these new shoes twice now (12-15km each run), and they feel more cushioned than the M767 that I used to wear. They also seem to breathe better than the M767, but that could be just my over-enthusiasm with new shoes. :-) Although there is a 35 g/1.2 oz weight penelty to the M767, as expected, it is not noticeable - if anything, the new shoes felt lighter somehow on the run (again, this is probably my over-enthusiasm again).
[Please note that the manufacturer posted weights above are based on the "standard" size 9.5 shoes, which are considerably smaller than my 11.5 shoe size.]

As you can see (if you peer hard enough), I also decided to try a pair of Lock Laces. These cost SGD$13.90 (USD$9.73) which are kinda expensive for laces in my books, but every second saved in T2 is one less second to run down, right? :-) So how do they feel on the run? I did not follow the instructions on the Lock Laces website, so I endup up with a rather loose fit which I did not like. Will try the secure method on the Lock Laces site next time. I intend to just get used to the Lock Laces and then move them onto my race shoes - which, if all goes according to plan, will be a New Balance competition shoe or MR902 at the stock clearance discount price of SGD$35 (USD$24.5) - being a size 11.5 in Asia means that there is usualy my size in stock clearance sales at the New Balance center near my workplace. :-)

While I was at the shop, I also got a pair of these value priced (SGD$34.3 or USD$24 after 30% discount) New Balance Tri Shorts that seem to be only for the Asian market. These are the most cost-effective (read: cheapest) Tri shorts on the market and they work pretty well for International (Olympic) distance or shorter. The padding is literally towel-thin, so I would not recommend cycling for more than 50km or so on them (unless you have a fantastic Tri saddle).

On a negative note, my 2 year and 8 month old Polar foot pod (for the S625X) is broken. Instead of blinking, the green LED stays on when it is activated, and the red button needs to be pressed again before it will start to flash. Once it is turned on, there is no way to switch it off except to remove the battery. It also keeps telling me that I am running 5-6km/hr when my pace is closer to 9-10km/hr. It's now with the Polar Service Center and I am waiting to hear what's the damage (warranty lasped 8 months ago).

One last bit of new kit, and I have indeed saved the best for last: the POWERbreathe! This seems to be the latest "miracle product" amongst endurance atheletes and I had the chance to get one at 30% "buddy discount" - SGD$70 (USD$49). I have yet to try it, but this is what the website says:


  • 'Dumb-bells for your diaphragm' - Just as you might use weights to strengthen your arm muscles, breathing in through POWERbreathe for a few minutes twice daily, makes your inspiratory muscles work harder - thereby increasing their strength and endurance.

  • It is an easy-to-use, drug-free, hand-held device with a comfortable mouthpiece. Within a few days your inspiratory muscles will feel stronger and within four weeks your lung function, and ultimately performance, will improve.

Too good to be true? I will tell you in about 4 weeks. :-)

3 comments:

CR said...

I have a pair of lock laces and just ended up cutting the excess laces off. I just put them on a newer pair of shoes tonight and LOVE them!

It sounds like you got some good deals! I have a garmin forerunner I'm trying to figure out! And just got my bike off the garage hook to start riding again! Here's to training!

Unknown said...

Nice new toys you got there. I love the family photo below as well.

J~Mom said...

Nothing better then new tri toys! Let us know how it all works out!