Thursday, January 17, 2008

Taking the High Road...

I have decided that I like the picture of R1 & R2 jumping so much that I will use it as a header. :-) The picture somehow lifts my spirit and reminds me to JUMP UP for the Lord because He has given us the freedom to take hold of His unspeakable joy and unshakable peace.

As I go through Genesis 43-50 (another 3 days in my http://www.bibleinayear.org/ reading plan), Joseph's act of grace to forgive his brothers - even though they sold him to slave traders and lied to their father that he was dead - reminds me that it is only God's grace that gives us the ability to take the high road in life. Ol' Nitrox is just like any office worker out there - in my daily work, I meet people who are out to satisfy their personal agenda, whatever the cost to others (and even to the company). These people really make my blood boil, and many times I catch myself reacting in spite when I should really be taking the high road. It is only when I calm down and remember that
  1. I work for God and not for men (Colossians 3:23), and
  2. He who is in me is greater than he who is in this world (1 John 4:4)

That's when I can stop worrying about what others around me may think about me, and have the ability to take the high road and do the right thing.

There is a very real price to being a Christian at work today. God came to this world to teach us and finally to die for us so that we can catch a glismpe of the kingdom of heaven, so that having the assurance of victory and eternal life, we may be freed from the fears and concerns of this world, so that we can pay the price of being a Christian.

As I write this, a very dear friend of mine in church may well have paid the high price of being a Christian at work. She was chosen for retrenchment after 10 years on the job, and I suspect the choice has more than a little to do with her being the odd one out who does not compromise her Christian values at work. Singapore labour law does NOT require employers to provide any sort of severance pay even for retrenchment, so she is in the midst of a difficult test right now. P, if you are reading this, our prayers are with you, and I praise God that even in such tough times, we can have the certainty that He is in control. "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose." (Romans 8:28)

Have faith dear sister, have faith. Be proud that you have taken the high road, and continue to take the high road. It is the only path God has set out for us. Be secure in the knowledge that your steps have stayed on His path, you have not wavered from following Him (Psalm 17:5, NLT) and so like David, you will see Him and be satisfied (Psalm 17:15, NLT). He will be your vindication. He will restore to you what is rightfully yours - your unshakable peace and unshakable joy. Amen!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I always enjoy reading your reflections on your relationship with God. Thanks for sharing them with the rest of us. I love the new header!

Jen in Budapest said...

Well, I'm a newbie to tri but excited about it. Thanks for not only being strong in your faith but in your training.

Robin said...

Good move -- I love that pic, too. It looks great as your new header!! They look like they are having so much fun!