Saturday, January 26, 2008

Swimming with Sharks


So I went for my swim test for the NUS Biathlon today, and as expected, everyone (and I mean everyone, including the organisers) is half my age. I usually don't mind being called "sir", but I detected a bit too much of the customary Asian respect for the elderly in the "sir"s after I told them I am 40.

Undaunted, I proceed for the swim test and started chatting with the swimmer who starts after me. A young, well-muscled and tanned chap, he confessed to being a slow swimmer. After more deferential chatter (these kids must not meet middle aged guys very often), Ol' Nitrox was eager to just get going. I mean, I am a big advocate of respecting the old, but I have never been this much on the receiving end before.

1st lap and I noticed that Tanned Young Boy (TYB) who started after me is using the breast stroke - heh heh, I thought, no pressure then. A few laps later, TYB seemed to be catching up (still using breast stroke). Forgeting the ravaging effects of 20 extra years on the body, I pick up the pace, refusing to lose time to someone using the breast stroke. Mid-way and this ol' body is over-heating, I am having difficulty breathing and keeping my heart rate in check. I cannot even think about a smooth stroke anymore. BUT, I am not giving up any time to TYB. I can't really remember much after the mid-point, just a lot of discomfort and threshing around. TYB and I finished the swim test at about the same time (36 mins or so - YES, I passed!), but I could not help notice how he was breathing a whole lot easier than I was as we walked to the changing rooms.

Man, this could be one tough biathlon... Maybe I should go talk to these guys about creating a seniors category...

5 comments:

CR said...

Great job, "sir"! LOL! Do you have to complete a swim test in order to compete?

Anonymous said...

Way to go! Show those young'uns how it's done. :) At least you gave him a run for his money. He'll respect you in a whole new way now. :)

Unknown said...

Good job, sir!

Unknown said...

I would hardly qualify 40 as being "senior." Way to hang tough. Show those youngens what you're made of. Congratulations on passing the test.

Robin said...

ha ha! Way to go....uh, sir.

"Sir Kewl"... I like it!