Sunday, January 20, 2008

Kicking Myself...

Yes, today I am kicking myself, because I am going to miss the Singapore Biathlon (1.5km swim, 10 km run, 1st March '08) - the registration closed early due to overwhelming response. It would have been such a good work-up to the OSIM International Triathlon too. It wouldn't be hard to cover the distances in one of my weekend training sessions, but I was looking forward to race conditions and especially the open water swim. :-(

While we are on the subject of Triathlons, I have been dreaming of exotic carbon gear since reading about InterBike 2008 in some magazines. Have you seen this super sexy Cobra Drop Bar from Profile Design? Not the lightest carbon drop bar out there, but check out the multiple contoured grips! The best part is that the center clamping section (110mm) has been strengthened to take clip-on aero bars and hence suitable for triathlon use. I wonder if the aerobar with the same name sake (T2+ Cobra) would be the perfect match... The website says that the Cobra Drop Bar will take any clip-on aero bar, but that I am imagining that this particular combination will sure look slick. :-)

Talking about carbon stuff, Mavic have finally made their own all carbon wheels - the Cosmic Carbone Ultimate. Yes, quite a mouthful and even more expensive than ZIPP 404's. GASP!

So as you can see, Ol' Nitrox is very capable of the sin of covetousness. :-) I think I will put up this post just to have a convenient place to oogle at the pictures when I have a few spare minutes. :-))

Back to ground zero, and the Polar service centre has finally called me back to say that my S625X footpod is busted. It costs SGD$180 (USD$126) to replace, so I have decided that I don't really need to know just how slow I am running. :-) I have a few regular running routes and I can guess at the distances so that's probably good enough for a recreational triathlete like me.

Oh, and I have NOT tried the PowerBREATHE either. I have a sneaky feeling that unless I do so soon, this will be another purchase that gets forgotten in the "good intentions" closet. Let's see...

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Sorry you didn't get into the race. It's tough to create race conditions during training.

Robin said...

I do like those wheels, I have to admit.

CR said...

Sorry to hear about the race. Those bike accessories are very nice. My bike is at the shop getting fixed up since it's been sitting in the garage for so long! I hope to ride it this weekend!

Anonymous said...

Love the cartoon! So sorry about the biathlon. :( I hate it when that kind of stuff happens.

Enjoy dreaming about all the bike gear. ;) Maybe some of your dreams will come true.

Robin said...

You blog is not stuffed up at all.. haha.

Like Calvin, I need a swift kick in the butt to post.

Actually, I just need some more time. The past 3 weeks have been busy and the past week has been CRAZY (and the next two will be, too.)

It's all good, though. I am waiting to post this, but last week I was offered and accepted a New Job! Yeah! Now, I am working like and to get 7 1/2 yrs wrapped up in a neat package before I bid adieu to my current place of employment!

More news soon.....stay tuned, please. :-)

J~Mom said...

OH man, sorry you missed the race entrance.