Monday, June 30, 2008

LORD, Establish My Thoughts!

According to my inbox, I am now 167 days into into my http://www.bibleinayear.org/ reading plan, and 37 days behind schedule, so I slowly but steadily making progress to catch up. :-)

I have finished reading the book of Proverbs, and am going thru 1 Kings and 2 Chronicles. A particular verse really spoke to me:

"Commit your works to the LORD, and your thoughts will be established." (Proverbs 16:3, NKJV)

I have been rather unsettled lately, there just seems so much to think about in just about every aspect of my life - my job, family, even training. This verse reminds me that everything that I do, I am to commit to the Lord. Meaning, whatever I do, I do unto the Lord and to the best of my abilities/resources, and then I leave the OUTCOME to God. Only then, will my thoughts be truly established - i.e. only then, will I have true peace.

So at work, there may be uncertainties around changing job scope, but I just do what I can for the good of the company and the people I work with, and leave the rest to God. If my job scope increases, I praise God for enlarging my tent and use my increased influence to do more for Him. If my job scope reduces, I praise God that He is in charge and gives me the work that He wants me to do.

In training, even though I have lost 4 weeks of training and my 1st Olympic Distance Triathlon is less than 2 weeks away, I just enjoy the training I can still put in, and leave the outcome to God. If I complete the triathlon, I praise God that He gave me the strength and fitness to do so. If I have to pull out halfway, I praise God that I am fearfully and wonderfully made, and for the priviledge of being able to swim, bike and run.

In my family, I accept that it is a journey with God, and trust Him to provide for us, protect us and lead us, come what may. I hold onto the truth that His will is to prosper us and not to harm us, and that Jesus has already come to destroy the works of the devil, and He has left us the Holy Spirit to continue to do so and establish His kingdom here on earth.

It's funny how the most powerful truths in God's kingdom are also the really simple ones. Truly our God is an awesome and wise God. Amen!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK, now I feel a little better about being 3 days behind on my reading! ;) (Although, I haven't received emails with my readings for 2 weeks! Grrr!) Anyway, keep at it.

Happy reading/training!

Unknown said...

That's funny, I haven't received e-mails for weeks as well, but I think I am about two months behind.

Thanks for the well spoken truth. A much needed reminder.