Friday, July 11, 2008

All Packed and Ready to Go

I have rather mixed feelings as I packed for tomorrow. I am thankful to be able to train and participate, but would have liked to put in more training. Then again, I guess I will always like to have put in more training. :-)

This will be my 1st real attempt at a Olympic Distance Triathlon - the same event got rained out last year and it so discouraged me that I actually stopped blogging for quite a while. When I look back, I may have been just as physically ready then as I am now, but mentally perhaps I just wasn't ready for it last year. A lot of thoughts are going thru my mind right now: With a late start (my wave starts at 1040am), would it get too hot? I did most of my training in the coolness of the morning or evening, will I be able to cope with the weather? Is my fueling plan correct? I will be biking/running through lunch-time, will I get hungry? Will it rain, and would my GP4000 tyres grip well in the wet? Is it gonna be strong currents like the NUS Biathlon? I usually get stitches in my sides in races, will they come back to haunt me again tomorrow? I had planned to do some light training during taper week, but I had to go to Manila and just could not squeeze in any training - have I lost form during taper week?

Then again, I think back 3-4 years ago when I could hardly swim 100m, bike 20km or run 5km, and was 16kg heavier than I am now, I guess I have come a long way. It has been frustrating many a time for me to note just how GRADUAL the improvements in speed and distance are coming along, but I cannot deny that I have gotten faster and fitter over the years. Am I going to complete the race tomorrow? I can't be 100% sure. But I am reminded that it is this uncertainty that draws me to Triathlons - the uncertainty that forces me to be humble and to just depend on Him.

God Willing, I will finish my 1st Olympic Distance Triathlon tomorrow. See you at the finish line.

5 comments:

tryathlete said...

Hope it went well! I googled the weather and it said "thunderstorm - 29C" ...again?

Unknown said...

Looking forward to the race report. I hope you have a more satisfying experience than last year.

J~Mom said...

I hope you had an awesome race!!!

IronWaddler said...

Hope everything went well!

CR said...

You will always feel like you can train more! Finish strong!