Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Sanctified to serve Him

Just want to let you know that although I have gone quiet on my daily readings, I have NOT given up, in fact, I have been trying hard to catch-up. Since my last post (a month ago), I have covered Deuteronomy 30-34, Joshua 1-24, Judges 1-21, Ruth 1-4, 1st Samuel 1-24, and some chapters from Psalms (7, 27, 31, 34, 52, 56, 120, 140-142), which is a total of 27 days from http://www.bibleinayear.org/. So, no I did not manage to do much catching up. :-(

How can I do justice to all that the Lord has said through these chapters? I simply can't, there is just so much to write about. One thing that sticks to my mind as I look back now is that I remember getting depressed reading about how human nature forces us to behave like the Israelites in Deuteronomy, Joshua and Judges - they were singularly unable to rise above their human nature and serve God, and today we are much the same way. We all have weaknesses in our lives that the Lord deals with, and some of these weaknesses have become such strongholds that we continually fall back into the same sins. But compared to the Israelites of old, we are so priviledged to have Jesus already come to die for us, and also to have Him tell us that He has removed our sins. Without Jesus, we simply cannot fulfill what we are made to do - to worship God.

1 comment:

Cliff said...

Kewl,

I am reading through the Bible from the beginning to end. A while back I finish Deuteronomy. IMO, that is a book much tougher than Numbers.

Deuteronomy is a constant remind from God that we need to focus on Him. Over and over it repeats to follow His Laws and don't serve any idols.

The book of Judges scares me. We see how people start doing things which they think it is right and stop worshipping God. Reminds me of our current culture.

I am now into Samuel 1.