Monday, April 7, 2008

Clip-on Aero Bars Work!

Yup, I have removed my clip-on aero bar. The "go faster" kit that I hinted at was a new carbon clip-on bar to replace the Deda Clip One (more here) that I have been using for over 2 years now. Well, the LBS ordered the wrong stem and so now I am without a clip-on aero bar for a few days. So, off I go for my weekend ride, and you know what? I was consistently approx 3km/hr slower in the flats. At my (slow) bike speed, this equates to almost a whopping 10% decrease in speed!

I have always felt that having the clip-ons make a lot of difference, and now I know for sure. So if you are considering clip-on aero bars for your road bike, GO GET THEM!

So why did I decide to replace my trusty ol' Dedas and what difference does it make? Well, you'll just have to wait till I get the new clip-on aero bar installed (hopefully tomorrow). :-)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I really never use my aerobars and am thinking of taking them off. I may go faster with the decreased weight. Afterall, they can only work if you use them!!!

LOL

Enjoy the new carbon ones...

Cliff said...

Kewl,

When I ride on the hood instead in aero, I am 2-3 kph slower. The higher the speed, the more speed i lose from riding on the hood.

Hmm carbon aerobars :)..nice.

Robin said...

Very cool bars. And boy, your seat looks high.