Sunday, July 13, 2008

I DID IT! (OSIM Triathlon Race Report)

Praise God, I have finally completed my first Olympic Distance Triathlon! You ironmen/iron ladies out there will laugh at this, but it was much tougher than I thought it would be.

Pre-Race
I slept rather well last night, none of the usual nervous energy that keeps me awake before races - I think not having any expectations except to try to finish works well for me. The nice thing about my wave starting at 10:40am is that I can wake up late and have a leisurely breakfast - coffee and 4 pieces of toast with peanut butter and honey. I even managed to take a quick self protrait before setting off (sorry for the poor aim, there's not much hair left up there anyway). :-)I arrived more than an hour before my wave starts, which gave me loads of time to fuss over my transition area. I even had time to watch some of the elite triathletes flying by the transition area - man, they are fast!

Swim (2 X 750m)
While waiting for the swim, I overhead the announcers making multiple warnings of a rough swim due to strong winds - seems the fastest swim by the "elites" has dropped from 16min (last year) to 21min. That's a whopping 30% increase! I tried not to think about it too much, and got in a quick warm-up swim, and sure enough, it was choppy. I even managed to drink some yucky sea water in the warm-up swim thanks to the chop. Not good.
Nervous minutes ticked by and it was my wave start. Perhaps having the mental expectation of a tough swim helped, and I did not struggle too much. I tried to relax and just bob along with the waves, so the swim did not turn out as uncomfortable as the NUS Biathlon. Still, there was lots of physical contact pretty much throughout the swim because the current was causing us to bunch up into groups. I even got kicked in the face twice by guys swimming breast stroke - which is exactly why I use a swim mask instead of those tiny goggles. Swim Time: >50mins.

Bike (4 X 10km)
The good thing about being a slow swimmer is that there is loads of room at the transition to put on my socks and cycling shoes. :-) I have always liked cycling, so was happy to be able to pick up the pace from the start and catch quite a few people early on. I don't like to fuss with HRM/speed/cadence meters in races. I like to just feel the wind in my face, and hear the buzz from the drive train. I had decided to put a bottle of Gatorade on the bike (which I would finish during the bike leg) and also a gel for "spare". The 1st 3 laps went by in a blur, and I was having fun. Lap 4 is when I started to tire, and I just could not keep up the pace and stay on the aero bars consistently. The sun was bearing down and I could feel the uncomfortable feeling that my entire back is dry and hot - mental note: maybe bring a bottle of water instead next time so I can splash some on my head and back. I decided to take the gel and wash it down with Gatorade - yummy! Decided to slow down and leave some strength for the run. Bike time: 1:20?

Run (2 X 5km)
The run was a totally different matter - I just never got up to pace on the run. It felt like I was just "surviving" and trying to make the distance. Somehow the 5km loop felt like it was going on forever - Mental note: maybe I gotta check the run distance sensor on my Polar, perhaps I am running short during training. Turning back for the 2nd 5km loop was a real morale buster - it was all I could do to keep running and not give up. Out of the blue, it started raining - a sudden tropical downpour. I didn't exactly pray for rain, but I did tell R1 & R2 that if it rained, it might be a good thing because the noon sun can be pretty terrible in this part of the world. I was thankful for the rain, it brought cool relief, but the downpour soon soaked my shoes and made them heavy and uncomfortable. I gotta be careful what I wish for, I guess. :-) Somewhere along the 2nd loop, I gave up my target time of 60mins and re-set the target to just being able to complete without walking. I was telling myself, "God brought the rain, you better not give up." :-) Run time: 1:10 (?)

So all in, a tough event for me. I did wear my trusty Timex, but I managed to mess up the lap times, so you will have to wait for the official results to see how I did. I did not put in quite as much training as I would have liked, so I am very thankful to be able to finally complete my first Olympic Distance Triathlon. There's actually a Night Olympic Triathlon in Oct, but that's the LAST thing I wanna think about right now. :o)

7 comments:

Unknown said...

WooooHoooo!!! Congratulations!! You must be very happy now that you have an Oly finish under your belt. :)

I have an oly coming up in September, and your report reminds me that the sum is greater than the individual parts.

Alan/Val said...

congratulations! i think there are some respectable times there, bearing in mind you were competing in rough seas and rain!

Ellie Hamilton said...

Excellent!! Congratulations!

And while I'm one of those "Ironman Ladies" (or was, anyway) I will never, never laugh at an Olympic-distance tri, or a sprint either. Triathlon is hard. Any distance is a solid effort and applause is in order for finishers! (Starters, too... anything can happen during the race; just starting shows you've done a lot of work.)

CR said...

Congrats!! When's the next one, lol!! Based on your times, we'd probably be good training buddies! My Olympic race times are very similar to yours (was just looking them up last night).

J~Mom said...

Congratulations!!!

Unknown said...

Way to go! Nice race report and I am glad that all went well, for the most part. I would have been afraid of the choppy water for sure.

Robin said...

WOW. I HAVE BEEN AWAY. I just saw your report and HUGE ACCOMPLISHMENT! CONGRATULATIONS! Way to go, Kewl. Very proud of you! ~Robin