Thursday, January 3, 2008

Rising above the level of kids...

Here's a recent family picture from Mrs Nitrox's brother's wedding. It's not often that we, as a family, are so well dressed, so it's good that someone took a picture for us. :-)

I am at Genesis 19-24 in my bible reading plan. I am so far behind schedule that it is not even funny anymore. These are "loaded" chapters - they start from the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah, through to how Abraham and Sarah was finally blessed with Isaac and was tested by God (who asked Abraham to sacrifice Isaac to Him). It is impossible to include all the things that spoke to me in these chapters, but strangely, what spoke to me most was Genesis 21:9 "And Sarah saw the son of Hagar the Egyptian, whom she had borne to Abraham, scoffing." (KIV).

OK, a bit of context here perhaps: Abraham (and Sarah) finally had their own son (Isaac) when Abraham was 100 years old (Genesis 21:5) - well past their child bearing age. This was also a full 25 years since God first promised the land to Abraham's descendants (Genesis 12:1-4). So to say that Isaac was a REALLY precious child in Abraham & Sarah's eyes would not be an over-statement. When Isaac was weaned, the proud parents had a big party for the baby, and Sarah saw Ishmael (Abraham's son thru the maid Hagar) "scoffing". It apparently so drove her up the wall that she had Abraham drive Hagar and Ishmael out from their home and into the surrounding desert. An event that almost cost Hagar and Ishmael their lives.

So here is the confession time for me. I am also guilty of being driven up the wall sometimes when I see other (older) kids bullying or scoffing at R1/R2. I can't understand how I can get so angry with, esssentially, kids! I have felt that way since R1/R2 were toddlers venturing to the playground. When R1/R2 were younger I have actually told off some kids, even in front of their parents. In the last few weeks, with all my nephews and nieces here in Singapore (4 of them staying with us), I have been cheesed off more than once with some of their rather mild teasing/bullying of R1/R2 (who are the 2 youngest cousins). Even little things like excluding R1/R2 in their games, fighting with R1/R2 for snacks/computer time/attention really ilks me. The logical part of me says "Let them be kids", but something in me just flares up to see my precious R1/R2 being "sidelined". I tend to be a very "hands on" Dad, and sometimes it is hard to do that and still remind myself to stay above the level of kids. I have to consciously remind myself that I am being silly, and make an effort to be the dear ol' Uncle Nitrox to my nephews & nieces. Silly isn't it? I mean my nephews and nieces are such wonderful kids - the problem lies very much with me. Yes, I am embarassed.

Praise God that He has opened my eyes to another area in my life that I have to give up to Him. I have to remember that God comes first. And that means that I have to put my ministry to my extended family (bro/sis-in-laws and nephews) and my friends/neighbours above these minor irritations, and trust that God is partnering Mrs Nitrox and I in parenting and protecting R1/R2. It sure is hard, but with His grace, all things are possible, and I can only get better at it. Praise God!

6 comments:

CR said...

The readings are kicking my butt too! So much to take in each day! It's great you can be transparent throughout this process of God continuing to work through you!

Unknown said...

Yah! I took that picture!

Kewl Nitrox said...

Thanks Eliza, I suspected it was you that took the beautiful picture! :-)

Anonymous said...

What a great photo! You have a beautiful family. I can understand the irritation when your kids aren't treated well. It is hard. Remember to teach your kids some coping skills for when they are feeling bullied. It will come in handy when dad's not around. :)

I signed up for the online reading and never got any emails. :( I just signed up again - hope it works this time. I'm feeling behind because I planned to start on Jan. 1. Good luck with the reading!

Kewl Nitrox said...

Doesn't matter when you start Annette, just as long as you do. :-)

Perhaps your email server is cutting off the daily readins becoz it thinks they are spam email? Could be a tricky problem to solve...

Robin said...

Oh My Goodness! This is the 1st time I have SEEN you! haha! And the WHOLE family. I had only "seen" R1 & R2. Very nice pix with you all dressed up so nicely! Happy New Year! Here's to a wonderful 2008 in every aspect of your life-- much happiness & good health to you & yours.