Tuesday, June 24, 2008

World's 1st Night Triathlon in Singapore!



Just when I was mulling over how to be ready for the OSIM International Triathlon on 13th July, this popped up in the local newspaper - World's 1st Night Triathlon in Singapore (18th Oct). Not sure if there is an element of over-enthusiastic news reporting with regards to the "World's 1st" part, but a night triathlon sure sounds interesting when day time temperatures hovers from 30 to 33 C (85 to 90 F).

I am very tempted to sign up for this one, especially since my training plan for the coming OSIM International Triathlon got de-railed by business travels, vacation and illness. The article above says that it will be a time trial swim start, which will be a welcome break from the usual "kick ya goggles off" mass start. It also says that "the swim course will ... follow the coastline, instead of the out-and-back swim courses seen in regular triathlons". That would also be another interesting change. The bike and run route will be right in the city/CBD (Central Business District) area, which should be quite fun - usually these roads are chock-a-block with vehicular traffic and probably not ideal for a ride or run.

Early bird registration ends on 15th July, and I am guessing that it is not an accident that this is 2 days after the OSIM International Triathlon. I think like many others, I will make up my mind after OSIM. :-)

4 comments:

J~Mom said...

Sounds like a fun idea!!

Cliff said...

hey Kewl,

that looks very cool. I hope the road is light up. I am nmot sure about the swim at night though :)

CR said...

swim at night? that'd be interesting! It sounds like things are back on track!r

Unknown said...

I like time trial swim starts.

I'd be a little nervous about doing things at night, but maybe Singapore is lit up well enough that it won't be a problem.