Monday, August 11, 2008

20/20 Vision

I am writing this, sitting in my hotel room in Malaysia, missing my family and feeling heavy in my heart because it seems R1 may need glasses (he is coming to 8). It has always been my hope that my children will grow up with 20/20 vision, even though nowadays most Singaporean kids develop Miyopia at a very early stage.

Incidentally, my daily scripture reading today brings me to Ezekiel 20:20, which says that God, in His perfect vision, has given us the Sabbath as a means to remember that He is the LORD our God. I have always wondered what's the fuss with the Sabbath, and why God put so much emphasis on it in the Old Testament, and is it still relevant to us today? This verse reminds me that God gave us Sunday to keep us real. He gave us Sabbath so that in coming to church and in worshipping/serving Him, we will be reminded that He is our God, and not be distracted/misled/discouraged by the world. Amen!

7 comments:

Cliff said...

Kewl,

When I was at the transplant games, I read the whole book of Ezekiel.

Such a grim book, God was definitely angry at the Israelite.

I see how the people whom God has gratefully provided worship idols and perform all sort of sins (burn their baby for other gods). God has to drop the hammer down.

J~Mom said...

Great question about the Sabbath. I was just talking to a friend about this.

tryathlete said...

Yes, the Sabbath is an important commemoration of God. Like birthdays and other events that we have to remember others, only more often.

Perhaps rather controversially, I would like to suggest that while we remember to wear our Christian glasses on, we take them off from time to time to avoid an unhealthy myopic dependency on them. I know that while we should "seek God in all things", sometimes it is perhaps good to avoid "God-ifying" everything, seeing every single thing in a religious context. There people who live their lives interpreting every single event as some sort of message from God, which I don't think is particularly healthy ... although you may wish to disagree.

Kewl Nitrox said...

I actually agree with u. We are supposed to see the world thru God's eyes and not see God thru the world's eyes. The former can only happen when we are in sync with Him, and that happens only when we are regular about spending time with Him. The latter happens when we try to "Godify" everything that happens - e.g. try to interpret God's will thru what happens in our life.

Unknown said...

Have you considered the blessing God may be giving to R1 by developing his ability to "see" things in a different way? Food for thought...

Anonymous said...

Sorry about your son needing glasses. Isn't it funny how the timing of what we read is sometimes just perfect. :)

CR said...

Great post. I've yet to figure out how to work having a Sabbath when work stuff gets scheduled on Sunday. It's frustrating, because I like my Sabbath day. I've a long way to go to make it more restful, but it's difficult when things get scheduled out of your control...